A lot of problems on projects are due to poor communication. If you have a basic understanding of the construction industry, you can communicate much more effectively with fellow Hardhat Professionals and clients thus reducing the risk of failure.
You can even position yourself as an attractive niche brand by combining your technical expertise with a deep understanding of how the industry works.
You might be thinking “That’s nice, but how do I get this industry knowledge?”
HERE ARE 5 TIPS TO GET YOU STARTED:
- Create a mental model: Create an overview diagram of how you understand the industry and make changes to it as your industry knowledge grows.
- Follow the experts: Find out who are the thought leaders of the industry, and follow them.
- Read the trade Publications: Find out what the major publications are in the construction industry and read them
- Join a Professional body: Find out which Professional bodies are relevant to you and join them.
- Conduct Online Research: Set aside time each day to update yourself on current industry happenings by going online.